Caves of Qud
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through a layer cake of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide: is it a dying earth, or is it on the verge of rebirth?
Who are you?
Play the role of a mutant indigenous to the salt-spangled dunes and jungles of Qud, or play a pure-strain descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domes—the toxic arboreta of Ekuemekiyye, the Holy City; the ice-sheathed arcology of Ibul; or the crustal mortars of Yawningmoon.
You arrive at the oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert. All around you, moisture farmers tend to groves of viridian watervine. There are huts wrought from rock salt and brinestalk. On the horizon, Qud's jungles strangle chrome steeples and rusted archways to the earth. Further and beyond, the fabled Spindle rises above the fray and pierces the cloud-ribboned sky.
You clutch your rifle, or your vibroblade, or your tattered scroll, or your poisonous stinger, or your hypnotized goat. You approach a watervine farmer—he lifts the brim of his straw hat and says, "Live and drink, friend."
What can you do?
Anything and everything. Caves of Qud is a deeply simulated, biologically diverse, richly cultured world.
- Assemble your character from over 70 mutations and defects, 24 castes and kits, and dozens of cybernetic implants—outfit yourself with wings, two heads, quills, four arms, flaming hands, or the power to clone yourself—it's all the character diversity you could want.
- Explore procedurally-generated regions with some familiar locations—each world is nearly 1 million maps large.
- Dig through everything—don't like the wall blocking your way? Dig through it with a pickaxe, or eat through it with your corrosive gas mutation, or melt it to lava. Yes, every wall has a melting point.
- Hack the limbs off monsters—every monster and NPC is as fully simulated as the player. That means they have levels, skills, equipment, faction allegiances, and body parts. So if you have a mutation that lets you, say, psionically dominate a spider, you can traipse through the world as a spider, laying webs and eating things.
- Pursue allegiances with over 60 factions—apes, crabs, robots, and highly entropic beings—just to name a few.
- Follow the plot to Barathrum the Old, a sentient cave bear who leads a sect of tinkers intent on restoring technological splendor to Qud.
- Learn the lore—there's a story in every nook, from legendary items with storied pasts to in-game history books written by plant historians. A novel's worth of handwritten lore is knit into a procedurally-generated history that's different every game.
- Die—Caves of Qud is brutally difficult and deaths are permanent. Don't worry, though—you can always roll a new character.
Words about Caves of Qud
“There’s a sense of magnificent history to dredge from its depths.” -Chris Priestman, Kill Screen
“Caves of Qud is one of the best roguelikes in years, packed with evocative prose and featuring a captivating world of arcane secrets to explore.” -Heather Alexandra, Kotaku
“Narratively, this is one of the most compelling game stories that I’ve seen in a long time.” -Charlie Hall, Polygon
“Caves of Qud has a particular kind of New Wave science fiction imagination that just can’t be beat.” -Cameron Kunzelman, Paste Magazine
The soundtrack can be purchased here: https://freeholdgames.itch.io/caves-of-qud-soundtrack
|Updated||12 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Tags||Fantasy, Roguelike, Sci-fi|
|Average session||A few hours|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any), Touchscreen|
|Accessibility||Configurable controls, High-contrast|
|Links||Steam, Homepage, Twitter|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - March 6th, 2020 (beta branch)23 days ago
- Tomb of the Eaters Feature Friday - January 31, 2020 (beta build)57 days ago
- Tomb of the Eaters Beta #299 days ago
- Tomb of the Eaters Beta #1Nov 26, 2019
- No patch friday, first 'Tomb of the Eaters' beta early next weekNov 21, 2019
- Feature Friday - November 16, 2019Nov 16, 2019
- Feature Friday - November 9, 2019Nov 09, 2019
- Feature Friday and End-of-Year Patch PlansNov 02, 2019